Helvetas is a development organisation anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
For our headquarters in Zurich or Bern we are currently looking per March 1, 2020 or upon agreement for new team member to join our Sustainable and Inclusive Economies team. as a Advisor Market Systems in Fragile Contexts (80%).
The Sustainable and Inclusive Economies team provides advisory services to Helvetas programmes and to external clients. The thematic fields in this working area focus on private sector development, sustainable agriculture and food systems and financial inclusion.* The Market Systems Development (MSD) approach** is key in all our work. The development of value chains, market systems and business opportunities shall help poor and disadvantaged people to gain access to job opportunities and to earn a higher and more secure income.
Your main tasks
- Providing technical and strategic advice to Helvetas programmes and projects and external clients (donors, private sector) in the area of MSD with a specific focus on private sector development, entrepreneurship and business incubation.
- Delivering trainings and capacity development activities (capacity assessment, planning & implementation of workshops, on-the-job coaching etc.) for a wide range of internal and external clients.
These advisory and capacity building tasks will be targeted and adapted to varied context, especially fragile contexts (such as contexts affected by refugee crises).
- Contributing to the development of the portfolio in the area of MSD in fragile and crisis contexts as part of the nexus between Humanitarian Response and Development Cooperation; develop related concepts, tools and approaches
- Providing inputs to the acquisition of new projects and consultancy mandates
- Communicating about the outcomes of HELVETAS’ work with different public, policy and professional audiences through a variety of platforms and networks
- Master’s degree in economics, business management, agronomy or other relevant studies, optional a PhD or post-graduate studies related to the thematic domain
- At least two years of relevant experience in development cooperation in fragile contexts in the South / East. Experience in short term consultancy assignments related to economic development would be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience in MSD approach, private sector development, (social) entrepreneurship, business incubation and access to financial services for micro- and small enterprises.
- Exposure to Humanitarian Response contexts and Humanitarian Aid mechanisms
- Conceptual competencies, analytical strength, very good advisory and facilitation skills, intercultural and gender sensitivity
- Excellent spoken and written English. Good knowledge of French, Arabic or German would be additional assets.
- Readiness to travel to fragile contexts (approx. 10 weeks per year)
We offer you an interesting challenge in a motivated team with attractive working conditions. You can expect a modern work place in a multicultural setting in the centre of Zurich or Bern with attractive working conditions.
We look forward to receiving your complete application in English, including motivation letter, CV, work certificates and diplomas by 8 January 2020. Please send your application to via our online recruiting portal. Visit our websites www.helvetas.org. For additional information contact Maja Rüegg, Head Sustainable and Inclusive Economies (+41 31 385 10 74; email@example.com).
*See more on the work of the Sustainable and Inclusive Economies team here: https://www.helvetas.org/en/switzerland/what-we-do/our-topics/economies/economy-exper
**See more about MSD here: https://beamexchange.org/market-systems/video/