Helvetas is a development organisation anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
For our headquarters in Zurich or Bern we are currently looking per March 1, 2020 for a for new team member to join our Sustainable and Inclusive Economies team as a Sustainable and Inclusive Economies team provides advisory services to Helvetas programmes and to external clients. The thematic fields in this working area focus on private sector development, sustainable agriculture and food systems and financial inclusion*. The Market Systems Development (MSD) approach** is key in all our work.
The promotion of nutrition sensitive and sustainable agriculture and the development of value chains, market systems and business opportunities shall help poor and disadvantaged people to build resilience, decent jobs and living incomes to build a prosperous future.
Your Main Tasks
- Advise Helvetas projects as well as lead and contribute to advisory mandates of external clients (development agencies, enterprises, NGOs, foundations etc.) e.g. during planning, implementation and evaluation of programs
- Coach projects addressing and embedding aspects of nutrition, sustainable agriculture and food systems and facilitate the roll out of systemic working approaches
- Contribute to the development of the working field Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems, foster knowledge sharing in the organisation and represent the organisation in external networks
- Further develop relevant approaches and strengthen advocacy positions related to Nutrition, Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems
- Actively contribute to acquisition and fundraising related
- Master’s degree in agronomy, food and or nutritional science, or other relevant studies, optional a PhD or post-graduate studies related to the thematic domain
- At least two years of relevant experience in development cooperation in the South / East. Experiences in least developed and fragile contexts are an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience in MSD and or Food systems approach
- Knowledge on capacity development of local organizations, facilitation and training skills
- Conceptual competencies and analytical strength in development cooperation
- Excellent advisory skills, intercultural and gender sensitivity
- Exposure to private sector and entrepreneurship are an advantage
- Exposure to Humanitarian Response contexts and Humanitarian Aid mechanisms is valued
- Excellent spoken and written English. Good knowledge of French, German or Spanish/Portuguese would be additional assets.
- Readiness to travel to fragile contexts (6-10 weeks per year)
We offer you an interesting challenge in a motivated team with attractive working conditions. You can expect a modern work place in a multicultural setting in the centre of Zurich with attractive working conditions. Alternatively, a work place in Bern may be discussed. We look forward to receiving your complete application in English, including motivation letter, CV, work certificates and diplomas by 8 January 2020. Please send your application to via our online recruiting portal. Visit our websites www.helvetas.org. For additional information contact Ruedi Lüthi, Head Sustainable and Inclusive Economies (+41 31 385 10; email@example.com).
*See more on the work of the Sustainable and Inclusive Economies team here: https://www.helvetas.org/en/switzerland/what-we-do/our-topics/economies/economy-expert **See more about MSD here: https://beamexchange.org/market-systems/video/