ICRISAT seeks applications from a dynamic and highly innovative Cell and Molecular Biologist to undertake research on plant genetic engineering and trait development on legumes and cereal crops of the semi-arid tropics. The position will be based in ICRISAT Headquarters in Patancheru, Telangana in India
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- The roles and responsibilities are expected to be exceptionally diverse and would suit an individual with proven expertise in molecular biology and genetic transformation research, who is enthusiastic and motivated to evolve to research oriented to translational research involving public and private sectors.
- Develop and deliver product pipelines encompassing a broad range of biotechnology solutions involving multi-disciplinary research working together with different teams.
- Explore and employ technological improvements including developing synthetic biology tools for plant genetic engineering and exploiting new methods and strategies for crop species exploring new scientific directions that impact trait discovery and functional validation of novel genes.
- Explore insights derived from basic biological science and assessing their potential contribution to trait development, Risk assessment methodologies for food, feed and environment safety, and participate in out-reach and capacity building activities. The research involves setting-up of project goals, structuring work plans, and managing and monitoring progress together with building scientific teams and knowledge in relevant area of research.
- Prepare project proposals, project reports and research papers for publication in reputed journals.
- Ph.D. degree in biotechnology and/or plant sciences with 0-2 years post-doctoral experience in plant tissue culture, development of transgenic crops, and their evaluation under greenhouse/confined fields.
- Working experience with groundnut, pigeonpea, chickpea, sorghum, pearl millet, finger mille or other cereal crops is desirable with an interest in both basic research and development-oriented research involving these crops.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, and excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of international biosafety and food safety regulations, intellectual property rights, principles of biosafety procedures for transgenic crops, and translational research is highly desirable.
- Conceptual and report writing skills and record of international peer-reviewed publications in refereed journals.
- Should have aptitude to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments.
This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position for three years renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 6-December-2019, with a response to the selection criteria, their latest resume and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short- listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer