ICRISAT seeks application for the position of Principal Scientist –Soil and Water Conservation to support the projects of ICRISAT Development Center (IDC) in northern plains and central India on natural resource management. The position will be based out of Central India/Northern Plains and will report to the Theme Leader, IDC, ICRISAT.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- Mobilize research grants for Research and Developments
- Design & Develop Research and Development proposal on theme of sustainable crop intensification through watershed development;
- Lead and coordinate Research and Development projects of IDC at Northern Plains and Central India
- Guide and supervise project staff, liaison among ICRISAT Management/Scientists and donors;
- Identify suitable sites for rainwater harvesting, its designing and execution through potential project partners;
- Monitor hydrological data, computing water balance components and analyze impact of various NRM interventions;
- Undertake water balance studies at field and watershed scale; collect and synthesize primary and secondary data of various agricultural water management interventions;
- Organize capacity building programs on water balance/ water management to various stakeholders and field functionaries including line department officials;
- Write and communicate Research and Development findings to various stakeholders for scaling up; documentation and peer reviewed publications
- Willingness to relocate and travel to other parts of the country depending on project requirement
Qualification and Skills:
- Ph. D in Agricultural engineering/ irrigation and drainage/hydrology/water resources/environmental engineering/related NRM disciplines;
- Rich experience (about 10-15 years) in designing low-cost rainwater harvesting structures; and planning/execution various watershed interventions at field/community scale;
- Demonstrated skills in undertaking hydrological studies at various scale; estimating crop water requirements and water productivity;
- Adapt and or develop experimental methods/concepts to support research in integrated water resource management and hydrological sciences;
- Capacity to effectively communicate research for development concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders (CSR/academic/development agencies/farmers, etc.);
- Experience in conducting watershed interventions and farmers’ participatory field demonstrations on sustainable crop intensification;
- Ability to independently plan and carry out research on various project and work towards attainment of project objectives;
- Perform data analysis, preparation of reports and communicate the same to different stakeholders;
- Liaise effectively with a variety of stakeholders such as CSR, Government officers, NARS partners and research institutes;
- Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Perform other duties as requested by the Head/Theme leader IDC;
- Ability to develop effective relationships and work harmoniously in outcome focused and multi-disciplinary team environment;
- Willingness to travel to out station locations for instrumentation and data collection;
- High-level written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including demonstrated experience on preparing reports and research papers within required timeframe for a range of audience.
This is a Scientific & Managerial Group (SMG) position for three years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 30 November 2019, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer