|Vacancy Announcement Number||1821|
|Date of Issue||01/08/2019|
|Deadline for Applications||06/09/2019|
|Organizational Unit||Office of Evaluation|
|Duration of Assignment||6 months|
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
The Independent Office of Evaluation of IFAD (IOE) promotes accountability and learning through independent evaluations of IFAD’s work. In line with IFAD’s 2011 Evaluation Policy, IOE reports directly to the IFAD Executive Board. The IOE is seeking expressions of interest by senior consultants to contribute to the evaluations listed below planned for 2020 as team leaders or senior members for a period varying from one to six months according to the assignments’ needs:
A. Joint corporate-level evaluation (CLE) with the evaluation offices of the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO), IFAD and the World Food Programme (WFP) on collaboration among the Rome-based agencies;
B. Thematic evaluation on IFAD’s contribution to smallholder adaptation to climate change;
C. Country strategy and programme evaluations (CSPEs; language of the report in parenthesis): Bolivia (Spanish); Morocco (French); Niger (French); Pakistan (English); Uganda (English);
D.Evaluation synthesis report (ESR) on rural infrastructure.
Key results expected / Major functional activities
The senior consultants will support the development of the evaluations’ methodology, the conduct of analytical work (documentation analysis, key informant interviews, field visits in project areas, data collection and analysis) and the preparation of draft technical working papers and/or chapters of the main evaluation report. Each evaluation will be conducted by a team of multiple members under the leadership of a responsible IOE staff member.
The evaluations will be conducted in accordance with IFAD’s Evaluation Policy and IFAD’s Evaluation Manual (2015 edition): Examples of previous evaluations may be found in our website at the following links: CLE/thematic evaluation, CSPEs and ESR.
Representation / Work relationships
The work relationships of consultant are primarily for information-gathering and exchange in support of studies and thematic assignments will require to follow IFAD procedures and standards that include identifying reliable sources.
Technical and functional
- Knowledge of contemporary quantitative and qualitative evaluation techniques and practices, preferably in the area of evaluation of agriculture and rural development interventions.
- Field experience related to agricultural and rural development is a must.
- Communication skills: write clearly, succinctly and convincingly, listen and communicate to engage others.
- Computer skills: full command of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and common Internet applications. Mastery of statistical analysis software is a plus.
Minimum recruitment qualifications
- Advanced university degree (at least at the Master’s level) in economics, agriculture, rural development, finance, public policy, social sciences or related studies.
- At least 15 years of professional experience in: evaluating or assessing multilateral rural and agricultural development programmes and reviewing and/or evaluating of sectoral strategies corporate policies in multilateral organizations or major NGOs.
- Experience in managing, leading or conducting strategic, sectoral-level or thematic evaluations in international development organizations, with substantial contributions to evaluation designs and methodology development.
- Thematic expertise in at least one of the following areas: smallholder agriculture, livestock, fisheries, forestry development, rural finance, rural infrastructure development, rural enterprises, natural resource management, climate change, food and nutrition security, gender and women’s empowerment, participatory community development.
- Experience in managing or preparing a synthesis of large amounts of qualitative or quantitative data and their analysis.
- Understanding of the operations and business models of FAO, IFAD and/or WFP.
- Working experience with international financial institutions – operations/programmes or evaluations.
- Working experience in and in-depth knowledge of the country.
- Full command, both written and verbal communication, in English.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French or Spanish are an asset.
It must be noted that consultants are not staff of IFAD, and that this consultancy does not carry any expectation of employment with the Fund. Remuneration will be in line with the standards set for UN consultants.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Applicants who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful.