The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are good prospects for an extension. The place of work will be Blantyre, Malawi. Taking the security situation into account, travel for work will be required.
As Area Manager you will supervise an agriculture value chain focussed, BMZ funded, program that supports a 100Ha irrigation system currently under reconstruction. The program also includes a natural resource management and a WASH component in cooperation with local partners. Additionally, you will manage the Field Office in Blantyre.
- Ensure that all projects in the area are implemented according to the country programme and the rules and standards of donors and Welthungerhilfe
- Ensure accurate and timely budget planning and reporting to donor (BMZ)
- Guide, train and monitor local partners to achieve results set out in their workplan
- Provide technical expertise and guidance for value chain activities and irrigation scheme management
- Build management capacity of local staff and manage the field office
- Implement security/risk analysis and document security relevant information
- Support the Country Director in Emergency Preparedness and Response Planning
- A university or ploytechnic degree in Tropical Agriculture, Irrigation Management or a similar field
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience working in rural areas in the global South
- Experience in agricultural value chains and large scale irrigation technologies
- Experience in working in cooperation with national partner organizations
- Excellent coordination and organizational skills, including ability to work under pressure
- Very Good command of spoken and written English
We offer you co-operation in a highly dedicated team and a responsible scope of tasks. Furthermore, we facilitate a flexible organisation of working time as well as a healthy work-life balance. Of course, a comprehensive training is also part of our offer. The job description can be sent to you in case of interest.
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by July 3, 2019 by following this link. Your contact person is Barbara Kuersten.