GFA Consulting Group has a sound track record of providing effective solutions to the challenges in the global consulting market. Based in Hamburg, the company has implemented complex studies and projects in over 130 countries since 1982.
Leading development agencies, ministries and public clients have entrusted GFA with helping them to manage projects financed through bilateral and multilateral funds. Working in cooperation with stakeholders in government, the private sector, NGOs and citizens’ groups, GFA balances innovation and reliability to meet local needs.
GFA is seeking a Team Leader for the Sustainable Water Resources Management and Agricultural Water Use project.
This EU-BMZ co-financed programme, implemented by GIZ, is designed to enhance climate smart Water Resource Management (WRM) and efficient agricultural water use of smallholders in the Lower Kafue Sub-catchement area in Zambia, while applying a gender sensitive approach.
The task consists in the development of strategies to increase the resilience of water users in this sub-catchment area with better planning of water resources allocation, monitoring of water abstraction, mediation and conflict resolution over natural resources. In addition, sensitive areas for headwaters, ground water recharge areas and riverine areas must be protected with participatory land use planning techniques.
This overall objective will be reached by:
- Strengthening of capacities of technical staff in Water Resources Management Authority (WARMA) Offices and members of the sub-catchment water councils in order to reach the efficient implementation of strategic catchment protection measures by local Water User Associations (WUA)
- Strengthening of technical capacities in the WUAs situated in the Lower Kafue Sub-Catchment so that they are able to accomplish their function as representatives of farmers and water users.
- Application of new technical options for efficient use of water resources
- Improvement of capacities of public and private extension service providers who train smallholder farmers on efficient water use, harvesting and irrigation.
A very important cross sectional task consist in setting up a monitoring and evaluation system which allows visualization and communication of project activity progress at decision makers level, in order to take adjustment measurements on time. The coordination and cooperation with other key actors in the agricultural and environmental sector will be crucial for successful programme implementation.
- Overall responsibility for the contract and first point of contact for GIZ
- Leading a team of 5 Long-Term Experts, 5 support staff, and various Short-Term-Experts
- Regular visits to Mumbwa office (at least once a month)
- Ensuring the coherence and complementarity of the services of the contractor with other services delivered by the programme at local and national level
- Strategy, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of capacity development measures for local partners in the following areas
- Consideration of cross-cutting themes (e.g. gender equality)
- Personnel management, in particular identifying the need for short-term assignments within the available budget, as well as planning and steering assignments and supporting local and international short-term experts
- Ensuring monitoring is conducted to show project progress and impacts
- Regular reporting in accordance with deadlines
- Responsibility for controlling the use of funds and financial planning in consultation with GIZ’s officer responsible for the commission
- Supporting the officer responsible for the commission in updating/adapting the project strategy, in evaluations and in preparing a follow-on phase
- Maintaining contact to other donors
- University qualification (MSc) related to Development Cooperation, Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Rural Development, Hydrogeologist with strong background in agricultural development and/or integrated management of water resources or another relevant field
- 15 years of professional experience in the agriculture sector;
- 10 years of experience in in the field of smallholder agriculture and irrigation, adaption measures of smallholder farmers to the negative impacts of climate change;
- 5 years of experience in projects in Eastern and Southern Africa;
- Leadership/management experience: 6 years of management/leadership experience as project team leader or manager in a company, experience in leading big technical teams;
- Experience with management procedures and procurement regulations of EU and GIZ
- Excellent business language skills in English, spoken and written;
Application by: 10.03.2019
Please send your application to Ms Ingrid Wawrzynowicz via email@example.com
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will get contacted